I spent most of Friday cleaning up my bench and condensing my two benches down into one.  That took most of the day.  I included before and after pics for both benches.  Of course, now I am having trouble finding things because they are not in the place I am used to looking for them.

I did one more practice setting today, just to be sure of myself.  Then I started on the hilt itself.  I am delighted to report that I got 10 stones set today, out of 56 total (I think that is right….I have the scrollwork set up for the next stone and I don’t want to take it out of the vise).  The 10th stone got a little cranky but I managed to keep my composure and figure out a way to take care of it.  It’s still not quite as pretty as I would like, but it is in there.  That is a situation where a laser welder would have been worth its weight in solid gold!

I think I might be able to get 12 to 14 stones set a day.  That means I am looking at between 4 and 5 days of setting.  Also, I heard back from the guy about the soundboard and he said I had, in fact, soldered one of the legs of the resistor to the wrong pad.  He said he would test it to be sure and ship it back to me.  I’m not sure how much money it will be yet.  I think he charges a fee of some sort just to look at a board on his bench.  We will see.

A new student named Ian started today.  He seems to be off to a good start, from what I can tell…..

Advertisements