I spent the morning turning down a piece of aluminum tubing to the 1.468 inch O.D. that I need for the inner tube.  That actually took 2 hours!  I was taking light cuts on the lathe, but it still felt like it took a long time.  We have been discussing the merits of powdercoating vs. anodizing.  I am not convinced that I can get the color that I want with anodization.  But I am also concerned about doing harm to a powdercoated finish in the process of sliding the overlay back on.  I suppose there might be a way for them to mask the brass and powdercoat with it in place.  I will have to do some more research on that.

I spent the rest of the day trying to carve on the scrolls to get the three dimensional look that I want to have.  I am having the hardest time getting good results with the curvature.  It was difficult enough to get long smooth cuts in this particular piece of brass when it was flat.  It seems 10 times as hard to get them with the curve factored in.  At the end of the day, I did fiddle around briefly with Glenn’s ball burr technique.  I may have to put that to much bigger use……

Bill also took some modeling clay and did a practice billet of damascus/mokume.  He had this in mind for a while as way to cheaply figure out different sorts of patterns.  It worked pretty well for the standard twist.  I am gonna have to play with that at some point.  There are TONS of patterns that  I would like to figure out how to produce….

 

Advertisements