On Friday, I started a sterling scallop ring from scratch.  I have been intending to do something along those lines that I can cast multiples of so I don’t drive myself crazy hand filing each and every one of them.  It took all day Friday and all day today to get it done.  I had forgotten (or blocked out, I’m not sure which) just how laborious and time consuming it is.  It turned out well.  Missy said that spruing it up will be somewhat challenging since there is not a break in the pattern.

On Saturday, I was a paid employee of HAMA.  Bill had a group of 11 homeschool kids come in for 3 hours of repousse instruction.  He made the tools beforehand and I helped supervise them, to the best of my ability.  I managed not to yell at any of them.  Most of them were under the age of 10, so they were pretty young.  One of the young ladies was a freshman in high school and she did VERY well.  She is mechanically inclined apparently and she took to it like a duck to water.  I’d like to see her come back and be a full time student here when she graduates from high school.

Tomorrow I am going to go into uncharted (for me at least) territory with a saw and a file.  I am going to try and file scallop-like grooves that are at a 30 degree angle to the plane of the ring instead of perpendicular to it like the standard scallop ring.  We will see how that turns out.  As always I will be taking plenty of pictures.  If it turns into an un-mitigated disaster, I will just toss it in my “to be melted  down” pile.  I have about 4 ounces of silver waiting patiently for the next round of casting.  Hopefully I will get to the mokume forging either tomorrow or Wednesday.  I need to do that while it is still fresh.  I still have some video for the laminate mokume that I need to edit and post.  Stay Tuned……

Advertisements