Well, that is probably overly melodramatic.  Nonetheless it has been a rough day.  I spent the morning getting the channel rings cleaned up and pretty enough for practice work.  After lunch Bill did a demo on bead setting for someone else and we all watche that.  It took about half an hour to figure out why the video camera wasn’t transmitting the picture from the microscope to the television.  Missy and Bill kept fiddling with stuff and finally Richard pushed the button that made it work.  Then Missy did a channel setting on one of my rings to show me the ropes.

She warned me that this is one of those things that takes quite a bit of practice and messing up and practicing some more.  It took me an hour and a half to get ONE stone to finally do even half right.  In the process, I managed to knock the stone that Missy set completely OUT of the ring.  I was more than a little unhappy.  It is a good thing that I cast 4 examples of this ring because it looks I will need ALL of them.  You take a 45 degree hart burr and you make a groove on either side of the ring for the stone to sit in.  You have to cut it just right so the stone doesn’t sit too high or too low.  I imagine I will be doing A LOT of channel set practice……

Glenn’s brother Dale stopped by for a while today.  I included a picture of them together.  No need for DNA testing on this one……

Advertisements